January 2019 Inspiration Challenge

by Norine

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! Norine here to kick off the first challenge of the year! In November, I visited Houston and went to the International Quilt Festival where I was amazed and blown away by the talent and creativity, not to mention, color!

I often say inspiration is everywhere, and that’s especially true at a place like a quilt show! Of the 100’s of photos I took, I chose this one to inspire us to create something new and beautiful this month.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

“The artist is Ann Graf from Houston. She snapped a photo in London several years ago of a bed of orange flowers and this quilt is a cropped portion of that image. I’ve been in contact with the artist and she has given permission for her work to be shared and used for inspiration. She doesn’t seem to have a blog or website to link to though.” – Norine

I took my direction from the color scheme firstly, and then, because I loved the stitch lines running the length of the petals of the fabric flowers, I was drawn to the Adore You Stamp Set for my images.

I began by stamping all the individual blooms and leaves onto masking paper and cutting them out in order to build up a circular shape of blooms. Layer by layer, I stamped and heat embossed the individual images and then I used a stitched circular die (again, emphasizing the quilt stitching) to die cut the circle in the center of the card panel.

I used the Watercolor Brush Markers – Spring Garden Set to color my images, using a mix of the red/orange/yellows and blue/greens found in the inspiration photo. I colored only the parts of the stamped images that fell within the center circle and left the outside uncolored. Once finished, I popped the circle cardstock up with foam adhesive for added dimension. I added a few coordinating enamel dots to finish the card.

I hope you can play along with us this month. Don’t forget, there are prizes! I look forward to seeing your creations and thank you for stopping by the blog today!

~SUPPLY LIST~

Adore You Stamp Set
[ ALTN ]
Adore You Die Set
[ ALTN ]
Adore You Stamp & Die Bundle
[ ALTN ]
Watercolor Brush Markers – Spring…
[ ALTN ]
Permanent Black Crisp Ink
[ ALTN ]

Make a card, a tag, a layout or any other project based on the inspiration photo above. You may use either the colors, the composition, the elements, the texture or any combination to create your project.

• Altenew products should be the focus, but other companies’ products can be used.
  • Make sure to use our challenge image above in your blog post.
  • Include a link back to the Altenew Inspiration Challenge post.
  • When uploading your project, make sure you link your entry post, not your entire blog.
  • You may enter as many times as you wish!
  • Challenge ends on Thursday, January 31st, 2019 at 11:55 PM EDT.

After the challenge ends, FOUR WINNERS will be selected. Each will receive a $30 gift certificate to spend at www.altenew.com.

Winners will be announced on 2/10/2019.

WAIT – there’s more!

If you use #AltenewChallenge when you share your challenge entry on social media, you are instantly entered into a raffle to win a $15 gift certificate to our online store!

Feel free to use the banner above and let everyone know that you are participating in our Inspiration Challenge!

Please click on the blue button below to link your challenge entries. We cannot wait to see where this month’s inspiration takes you!

Good luck and happy crafting!

Loading InLinkz ...

Annette Reed January 2, 2019 - 09:51

Your card is lovely! This is a great color combo.

Cindy C. January 2, 2019 - 10:37

It’s gorgeous!!

barbara lassiter January 2, 2019 - 10:45

Wow! This is stunning both in design and color!

RuthCM January 2, 2019 - 10:49

Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

Tara Prince January 2, 2019 - 10:53

So gorgeous!!

Pooja January 2, 2019 - 11:10

Beautiful card ! Loved the bright colors.

margaret driscoll January 2, 2019 - 11:12

Norine you must be so proud of your work the colours are beautiful!
Love Marg

Sarah January 2, 2019 - 11:21

Would love a video to show how you did the flowers in the background and the ones on the circle die cut area. The card is truly beautiful.

Caro January 3, 2019 - 21:23

I believe she stamps the flowers all on one card panel (with embossing ink, then uses black embossing and heats to melt); once dry she would cut out the circle; replace the missing circle in the card panel with another cut out one (that has no design); Colors the stamped images on the cut-out circle only and adheres it on top of the circle that has no design, so the colored one appears raised. Then sticks the panel onto a teal colored card base. It sure looks gorgeous.

Norine January 3, 2019 - 21:37

Thank you Caro, that’s exactly right! In this case I also used some foam tape to pop the center circle up that much higher. Thanks for your response!

Diane January 2, 2019 - 11:49

You are using (and publishing) the work of a quilt artist as the basis for this challenge. Please give credit to the quilt artist who made the quilt at the top of this post. It is wrong to use and publish another artist’s work without giving credit.

Altenew January 13, 2019 - 01:14

Hi there! Thank you for your comment. We have asked Norine for the pertinent information and have edited the blog. It was an honest mistake and it was never her intention to not give credit to the artist.

Greta H January 2, 2019 - 12:34

A gorgeous quilt & love your creative card! Unusual color combo for me, but hopefully will get something made for the challenge this month. Clearly the person commenting above me is a lawyer & looking for something negative to say. Feel sorry for her. Thanks for your inspiration, Norine!

Harriet Herrington January 2, 2019 - 13:03

Your card is both unique and gorgeous!

Bev Page January 2, 2019 - 14:27

I LOVE your most unusual treatment of the stamp and dies – just stunning – and I also love your colour choices. What a beautiful card. Well done Norine. TFS.

Helen January 2, 2019 - 21:20

Thanks for sharing this card, Norine. Especially like the way you’ve created the non-color/color for your images using the circle delineation.

maria f. January 3, 2019 - 16:21

What gorgeous colors and what a beautiful card they inspired you to create. I love all the black and white.

Caro January 3, 2019 - 21:16

Happy 2019!
Love the color combination — very inspired to create a few cards with these three colors — and the card Norine made is exquisite (like so many she makes)! Thank you.

dannscraftingwhims January 7, 2019 - 11:45

Thanks for the inspiration… my mom loved the pops of teal that I normally wouldn’t’ve put in!

Rochelle Hofer January 18, 2019 - 13:44

Beautiful! These watercolor brushes are definitely on my shopping list.

Helen Kalb January 28, 2019 - 16:05

Norine, your card is truly lovely and you used so many things from your inspiration photo, excellent!