Hello Altenew friends, Norine back with you once more! I’m sharing some projects today, that I’ve made using the recently released Leaf Clusters stamp set.
My first thoughts for this stamp set were all cards, and then, when I read Jennifer’s sneak peek blog post and her suggestion that a different stamp set could even be used for embroidery projects, I was like, AHA!!! I’ve been on a renewed stitching kick recently and have wanted to create some cheap, simple, and easy projects to hang on the walls in the apartment we are living in temporarily/half time when we visit our grandchildren each month.
So let’s jump in and I’ll show you that and a couple of cards as well!
To start with for the stitched piece, I cut a piece of cotton fabric (a little like broadcloth, but with the faintest slub and mark in it) several inches larger than the hoop I planned to display it in. Then I placed the fabric in my MISTI, just like I would paper, fixed it in place with a magnet and stamped the three images I chose to use. While stitching, I used a hoop larger than the one I planned to use for display, just to give myself lots of room to stitch around the edges.
I stamped very lightly with Evening Gray Ink so that it wouldn’t show too much beneath my embroidery floss. Next, I chose an assortment of green and blue threads and stitched each leaf and stem with random color placement. That part went very quickly, and I was finished stitching in a little over an hour. If you’re interested, the DMC colors I used are 3051, 3346, 924, 3364, 503, 524, and 931.
Then I wanted to add some words. I used the “love” die from the Script Words die set and die cut a layer of fun foam. I applied temporary adhesive to the front of the foam, placed the die-cut onto my fabric piece where I wanted it to be stamped, closed the door of the MISTI to pick it up, and stamped once more with the Evening Gray ink.
Next, I wrote the rest of my words, practicing with a pencil until I was happy with the style, design, and size. Then I wrote over the words again with a sharpie marker and used that as a pattern to trace over with the fabric. I used a disappearing ink pen (found in any fabric section of a craft store) to draw the words’ pattern.
Next, I stitched all of the leaves and the word “love” with a satin stitch and the stems and script with backstitches. For the stems, I used 3 ply DMC floss and for the words, I used 2-ply. After the lettering was done (about another hour… and I happened to have some chocolate to sustain me whilst I stitched) I pressed the finished piece, blocked it and clamped it in the smaller wooden hoop. Then I trimmed the fabric on the backside to half an inch larger than the hoop and hot glued the fabric down to the inside of the hoop. I cut a piece of cardstock (I would have preferred a piece of contrasting fabric, but my fabric stash was in the other state where I live) about 1/8 inch smaller than the hoop size and glued it to the back to cover the backside of the project. Keep an eye on my IG account if you’d like to see the other stitched projects I plan to pair with this one!
Next up is this watercolored card, also using the Leaf Clusters stamp set. Once again, I employed the use of the Evening Gray ink, and this time, I stamped off once onto typing paper before stamping onto the watercolor paper. Then I used the faint ink outlines and shapes as a guide to where to paint. If you look very closely, you might spot the occasional outline of gray but if you don’t know what it is, you wouldn’t see it, or if you did, you’d just think it’s some clever shadowing. *wink!
I used a completely random mix of the blues and greens in the watercolor paint pans set with some occasional additions of yellow to paint each leaf. And how delightfully relaxing that was – to give myself over to just filling in shapes with colors, mixing and blending and not worrying about placement or design once the stamping was done!
To complete the card, I speckled the paper with some blue and green paint as well as some gold paint. Wait, what?! Gold paint??? Yes! I recently received the new pigment inks and I found that when I smooshed the Antique Gold Pigment Inkpad onto an acrylic stamp pad and added a bit of water with a paintbrush, I could pick up gold paint and splatter it too! That was a fun discovery! I stamped the sentiment from the Leaf Clusters stamp set, with the same Antique Gold pigment ink pad and heat embossed with some clear embossing powder. Then a few gold sequins to finish, trimmed the watercolor paper panel down by 1/8″ on each side, and I matted the card panel onto some darker blue/green cardstock from my stash, finally adhering it to a card base.
Lastly, I have a card that uses more of the Antique Gold Pigment Ink and some cardstock scraps! For this card, I began by selecting colors that vaguely matched the watercolor painted card above. I trimmed them to various depths, and glued them to an A2-sized piece of cardstock and trimmed the sides to match. I chose all textured cardstocks to achieve that “woven textile” look when I stamped.
I placed the card panel into my MISTI, stamped two leaf clusters on top with the gold ink, as well as the sentiment from the Floral Garden Stamp Set and heat embossed all with clear embossing powder. Then I finished this card by adding a few unevenly numbered gold sequins and adhering the card panel to a card base. It really doesn’t get much easier than that!
Thank you for stopping by today, and my apologies for the delay in posting today – all this travel I have been doing is affecting more than the timezone adjustments in my brain, I seem to have lost a few days as well! Have a great day!